The Little Björkfeldt cottage

The little cottage is named after the family Björkfeldt who had lived on farm since the later 1700s. There used tobe an open meadow to the west of the cottage and there was also a small parish prison cell called the “thieve’s coffin” on opposite side of the street to the west.

The Björkfeldt farm, along with many other houses, welcomed church goers and received visitors from ten different farms in Pargas. The model carpenter Johan Fredrik Lindqvist and his wife Selma lived in the cottage in the 1910s.The couple raised five children in the small cottage.

The Björkfeldt farm in the 1920s.

The old farmyard was completely transformed in the 1950s when the new Telephone building was erected on the property and the old farmhouse and outhouses were torn down. The cottage, which is now owned by the local telephone company, was made in to a museum in 1978 by Walter Johansson. The cottage is cared for by the Pargas Local History Association. Most of the interior is made up of objects and furniture that were rescued from other houses in Old Town. The cottage is now furnished a 1920s style home.

Children used to run down the street on sleds during winter.

The Malmbrinken street used to be called Adam Hill. kallades tidigare för Adamsbacken. Children used to run down the hill with sleds during winter. In the 1920s the widow Jansson lived in the house which is now a funeral home. She disliked children and was ofteen seen coming out of the house and yelling at any children that run past her house with sleds. The widow entertained church goers on Sundays, and she always reminded them of the fact that she, and baby Jesus, were both born in a stable on Christmas Eve.

The Little Björkfeldt Cottage in 1950.