The property belongs to one of the oldest settlements in Old Town. In the late 1700s the house belonged to Österman and the proprietor was “Österman´s mother”. The building now managed by the Åboland crafts association. A part of the building originates from a house that was on the premises in 1815. The building was shortened during the 1970s when adjecent street was widened.
The municipal board conveyed in the house in the 1870s before the municipal house was built. In the early 1900s Rosa Thileman, a weaver lived in house.
Banking in Old Town
The Savings Bank was founded in Pargas in 1908 during an inaugural meeting convened by Emil Sarlin. The first chairman of the board was Wilhelm af Heurlin. The bank’s first chief accountant C. H. Jeanson was also the manager of the cooperative store. During the first day of operations the bank received 21 new depositors. The Savings Bank granted its first loans only on bail. An exception was made in 1909 regarding a loan application by the engineer Alexander Eklund. Eklund had acquired several new depositors to the bank and were thus deserving loan of 1300 Marks without bail.
During the first years of operation the bank was open one hour a week and had a small office space in a corner of the meeting hall in the municipal house. Although crowded, the central location was beneficial to the bank.
The Savings Bank aquired the property in 1921 from the Sundell couple for the sum of 35 000 marks. The Bank open office in the thoroughly renovated building the 20th of March 1923. Initially the bank was first open twice a week. After a few years of operation the bank was open daily from 9:30 to 12:30.
The first years brouht a lot of new investments and a lot of extra expenses for the bank. The renovation of the old bank counter had cost 1874.80 marks. The sum was paid under protest to the carpenter because it was considered unreasonably expensive. A used typewriter was also purchased from the Pargas Limestone company. Also the bank offered to “tea without bread” for its tellers.
In 1925 a new outhouse for bank customers was erected on the plot which included a toilet and stables and for bank customers. In 1928, the bank celebrated its 20th anniversary. On the occasion of the jubilee the bank gave away 200 bankbooks which each included a 25 mark deposit to pupils in local schools.
The Savings Bank used the house as its office until 1949 when the bank exchanged properties Vilhelm Granlund. The bank moved to the Kyrkomalm No. 31 plot below the church and the old timbered house was demolished. The new bank office building was completed in 1952.